As I write this, it's the countdown to Labor Day. The summer has just flown by! We're enjoying warm days, cool nights and those final moments of relaxation before fall swings into gear. However, things have been anything but quiet at JGMP, and it's time to get a newsletter out!
Jon Gordon Music Production is a prime provider of audio and music recording and production services. We can tailor our approach to your needs. Studio tours, consultations, budget estimates, etc. are available free, on request. Here is our current news:
Susan Didrichsen - "Home"
We are putting the final touches on the master of "Home," by singer/songwriter Susan Didrichsen, in collaboration with writer/guitarist/engineer Askold Buk. We also recorded most of the lead and many of the background vocals for the project.
Susan is an extremely gifted singer and a true pro. She has appeared with: Wilson Pickett, David Byrne, John Cale, J. Geils, Enya, Ronnie Spector, Jennifer Hudson, Spyro Gyra, among many others, and is the featured vocalist with Crispin Cioe's "Cracked Ice" and on their CD "Soul Noir". She also appears regularly performing and promoting her own material.
JG with Susan Didrichsen - Vocal session for "Home"
Susan is a joy to work with. It's been inspiring to experience the energy, dedication and attention to detail that she brings to this project!
KILLER TRACKS/UNIVERSAL, DAVI VIEIRA:
We just completed a second CD of production music for Killer Tracks' Killer Latino division in collaboration with composer/percussionist Davi Vieira. Supplementing last year's "Brazil" CD, this year's CD features Brazilian electro-pop. It is expected to hit Killer's website in the next month or so.
Composer Davi Vieira with singer Fabiana Masili. Session for Killer Latino.
Davi Vieira is originally from Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, where he studied percussion, capoeira and dance. He has appeared with such luminaries as: Sergio Mendes, Gilberto Gil, Angelique Kidjo, Carlos Santana and Richard Bona. He also appeared in the show STOMP for 10 years.
This time out, the music drew heavily on JGMP's own electronic and synth scoring chops as well as Davi's mastery of traditional Brazilian instruments. We were fortunate to be able to work with singer Fabiana Masili, singer/bassist/writer "Zé" Grey, and vocalist Jair Coelho, to bring life to the wide range of styles expressed in the music.
It has been a busy summer. In no particular order, here are some of the bullet points:
- Kathy Zimmer: Singer/songwriter Kathy Zimmer is putting the final touches on mixes for her new, as-yet-untitled album. The CD was recorded in its entirety at JGMP, with able assistance from our old friend, drummer/percussionist Chris Benelli. Also featured on the recording: Jon Gordon - engineer - various instruments and programming, Davi Vieira - additional percussion, Carolyn Pook - violin, Lisa Bianco - flute, David Aaron - saxophone, Clyde Daley - trumpet, Gregory Briggler - trombone.
- Joseph Lorenzo Wise: Joseph Lorenzo Wise is a singer, actor and dancer with an extensive background in musical theater. Credits include: "SNL", "Jimmy Kimmel Live", "As The World Turns", "R.S.V.P. The Cole Porters", "Purlie", "George M" and "A Little Night Music". JGMP arranged, recorded and mixed Joseph's newly released single: "Life Is Like a Train". The song is an adaptation of a Cy Coleman/Betty Comden/Adolph Green song from the show "On The Twentieth Century". Joseph appeared in the original Broadway production.
- Mike Visceglia, Jimmy Reccione, Carolee Goodgold: We were pleased to see our old friend, producer/bassist Mike Visceglia (Kinky Boots, Suzanne Vega and too many other fine artists to fit here!) He came in with collaborator Jimmy Reccione and ace voice-over talent Carolee Goodgold, to record dialog for "Tabitha and Tuney Forever" a children's audiobook. Also featured are two original songs sung by Tabitha Fair, and incidental music and sound effects from composer Gary Schreiner. JGMP was pleased to do the final assembly, mixes and mastering of the project. It is a truly engaging book with a lot of real science and physics mixed into a fantasy about the secret friendship between a young girl and a space-going bluefin tuna.
- Eytan Mirsky: To the few of you who don't know him, Eytan Mirsky is an artist with a long association with JGMP. His songs have been featured in the Todd Solondz films "Happiness" (for which he wrote the title song of the same name) and "Palindromes", in the movie "American Splendor" and "The Tao of Steve". Last year's "Year of The Mouse" has already achieved cult status among indy power-pop junkies. This year was marked by our participation in the Monsters of Lite Rock compilation "Drink a Toast to Innocence". Eytan covered "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)", giving it a blue-eyed-soul twist that definitely puts a new spin on it. As the year has progressed we have been recording and stockpiling more songs. A new release soon? Could be.
- Ian McDonald, Tim Hatfield: Ian McDonald (King Crimson, Foreigner) was in recently with producer/engineer Tim Hatfield and singer Ted Zurkowski doing keyboard overdubs for an ongoing project.
- Brian McNeese: Brian, another artist with whom we have a long affiliation, is putting the final touches on the master of his soon to be released CD, his second with JGMP.
- Colin Madondo: Singer/actor Colin Madondo, who has appeared in The Lion King, is putting the final touches on his EP length release. Colin has a glorious voice and a beautiful pop sensibility. It has been a real pleasure arranging and recording his music. Standout tracks: "Bob Marley", "Eagle's Nest" and "Blue Moon" (feat. Christine Alvarez).
- Andy Monroe: Andy Monroe, a theater and dance music composer whose credits include the music for "The Kid", continued our tradition of Christmas in July by recording his annual winter song. He has been doing this since approximately 1996, sending a CD of each year's song to all his friends. In 2011 he released a compilation of 15 winter songs. We're now working on the next compilation! JGMP has been involved in many of the recordings, and mastered the compilation disk.
- Monkey Monkey Music - Meredith LeVande: Never one to be caught napping, children's entertainer/songwriter Meredith Levande has a lot on her plate. Her colorful videos are airing on over 100 PBS member stations. Her live performing season is in full swing. We are just completing mastering her soon to be released album "Macaroni". But that didn't stop her from coming in with her crack rhythm section, Barbara Merjan and Yuka Tadano, to track 25 more songs for future releases. We are in the process of doing overdubs and production on them as well. I'm getting tired just thinking about it!
We recently delivered final masters for the Joshua Shneider Love Speaks Orchestra's new release "The Joshua Shneider Love Speaks Orchestra Featuring Lucy Woodward and Dave Stryker" on BJU Records. The title pretty much says it all. Joshua Shneider's compositions and arrangements, lovingly engineered by Jeff Jones and Lincoln Schleifer are simply gorgeous. And the amazingly talented Lucy Woodward and Dave Stryker bring it home!
JGMP ON FACEBOOK:
Jon Gordon Music Production Inc. now has its own Facebook Page. There are lots of pictures from our gallery, and we will be posting news tidbits as they happen. Please go there now and Like us! You can click HERE.
MISC JGMP NEWS:
We were pleased to see pop artist Jay+Tonic the other day. He brought in the amazing Cassidy Ladden to sing on one of his songs. Newcomer Joel Brewster has been developing material for a dancehall-pop album. Standout work by backup singer Caitlin Claessens. Welcome to singer Macah Coates and singer/guitarist Eric Nicolas, who have been recording demos of their excellent songs! Also a shout out to newcomer Kemberly Alvarado. Marco Joachim has been developing new songs. Bluegrass maven James Reams dropped by to do a quick edit. Meg Flather recorded her song "Find a Way to Me" with the able background vocal assistance of Susan Didrichsen. Allison Scola has been in with guitarist Joe Ravo to record some new material. Could there be a new Allison album on the horizon? I had the immense pleasure to record noted jazz singer Karrin Allyson for Chris Caswell. There are a couple of Kay Storyprojects in the works, but it's too soon to talk about them...
And that's a wrap for now. Hope to see you soon!
[Skip to previous
newsletter or back to NEWS
ARCHIVES main page]